Spinal manipulation and spinal decompression is primarily used for neck pain, lower back pain, headaches and sciatica. Most people turn to this treatment as a first resort to help mitigate back pain, especially when it’s in the lower back.
Other reasons people might seek out this treatment include:
- As part of an overall wellness regime
- To improve energy or functionality
- To enhance immune functions
- To help with sciatica, back pain, neck pain or headache
- As part of a complementary approach in treatment of specific diseases or conditions
Treatment providers may apply some clinical rules to evaluate whether spinal manipulation is a potential treatment method to be recommended. That includes evaluating the level of pain and how long it has lasted. Providers may also test functionality of various muscles and joints and ask about other symptoms before recommending SMT.