Joints allow the body to move easily and freely, but even when we are completely healthy, daily activity and exercise can cause normal wear and tear. For those who suffer with arthritis, joint inflammation that causes chronic pain and stiffness that interferes with everyday life, take some of the pressure off your joints and reduce the risk of long-term damage by doing the following.
- Slide. Don’t lift heavy objects. Heavy lifting, pushing, and pulling can put extra stress on joints that are already vulnerable because of arthritis.
- Choose the strongest joint available for the job. Throughout the day, favor large joints. For instance, carry objects with your palm open distributing weight evenly over your forearm. Spare your fingers as much as possible.
- Keep moving. Don’t let your joints become stiff. Exercise and stay active.
- Balance work and rest. Don’t overdo it. Rest before you become fatigued or sore. Take note of an activity that causes joint pain so you can modify that activity next time.
- Eat the right foods. Eat foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids, calcium, and vitamin D to ease and promote joint comfort.
- Wear comfortable shoes. Experts say a three-inch heel stresses your foot seven times more than a one-inch heel. In addition, heels put extra stress on your knees and may increase your risk of developing osteoarthritis.
- Look for a CBD GEL. This can ease discomfort and inflammation, if you want to know how learn more here.
At Northeast Spine and Sports Medicine, we help patients throughout Monmouth and Ocean Counties with their joint pain and discomfort. We do this through our wide range of treatment options: