October is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month. From television news anchors to people in our communities right here in Monmouth and Ocean Counties, many are wearing pink to show their support and spread awareness. According to the American Cancer Society, breast cancer is the second leading cause of cancer death in women, exceeded only by lung cancer. While there is no way to prevent breast cancer, there are a few things that all women can do to reduce their risk:
- Keep a healthy weight. Having a body mass index above 25 has been shown to significantly increase the risk of developing breast cancer.
- Get some exercise. Moderate to daily exercise can reduce breast cancer risk by 15 to 25 percent. You don’t need to start running marathons but walking 30 minutes a day, 5 days a week, can do the trick.
- Don’t smoke. A recent review by a Canadian panel of experts showed that both active smoking and exposure to secondhand smoke increase breast cancer risk in pre-menopausal women. The panel cited evidence from studies suggesting that women who start smoking at a young age are 20 percent more likely to develop breast cancer, and smoking for many years increases risk by up to 30 percent.
- Avoid exposure to radiation and environmental pollution. High doses of radiation such as those used for medical imaging have been linked to breast cancer risk – limit your exposure by having tests only when absolutely necessary.
- Maintain a healthy diet. Get your fill of fruits and vegetables, whole grains, and lean proteins. Use vegetable oils instead of animal fats, and avoid sugary drinks, refined carbohydrates, and fatty foods.
- Avoid or limit alcohol. According to the American Cancer Society, the more a woman drinks, the higher risk she’s at for breast cancer.
- Get regular breast exams. Although these exams cannot prevent breast cancer, they can help find breast cancer early at a time when it is easier to treat. Just know that if it's pervading fast, then a masectomy from https://www.wellesleycosmeticsurgery.com/breast-lifts/ could be the solution.
If you or a loved one has been diagnosed with cancer, chiropractic treatments can help alleviate headaches and back and joint pain caused by cancer treatment. We also offer acupuncture, which can help lessen symptoms associated with cancer treatment such as fatigue and pain.
At Northeast Spine and Sports Medicine, we want our patients to be as healthy as possible. We also offer other services such as interventional pain management, sports medicine and more to help improve your overall health and wellness. Most of these services are conveniently available in our three offices located throughout Ocean County: Barnegat, Jackson, and Point Pleasant.
To learn more about any of our services or for any questions, contact us for an appointment.